Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Brokenness



The reason why the world lacks unity, and lies broken and in heaps, is, because man is disunited with himself.     - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've spent a lot of time over the past year thinking about brokeness.  To be honest, I've spent a lot of the last year feeling pretty broken.  If I had to describe the last year I think broken and in pieces would describe how I've experienced it.  It just feels like I've spent months wrapped in darkness that would never lift.

Today I find myself with an interesting perspective on the last year.  I find myself realizing that brokenness is essential to life.  The seed has to break for the plant to grow.  The cocoon has to break for the butterfly to emerge.  In that same way if we are truly serious about growing then we have to allow God to break the shell we protect ourselves with that hides our true self from the world around us so that we can be who He created us to be.  

In all of those situations I mentioned if the brokenness fails to occur then life cannot exist.  The plant never grows, the butterfly never emerges and we shrivel inside as our true identity is never realized.  

God assures us that He knows the plans He has for us.  If that is truth then do I have any choice but to trust that He knows exactly how my shell needs to be broken so that I grow he strongest?  

If a shell hides my true identity then as Emerson observes I'm disunited with myself. I'm letting something stand between myself and the person I'm suppose to be and only in being broken myself will the brokenness of the world around me begin to change.


No comments: