Friday, August 4, 2017

Relationships

Life has been crazy the last couple of weeks!
Oh, in one sense it is been that way because my husband had to travel for work.
But the other way it has been crazy is that I have interacted with multiple of my neighbors during this period!
Now this is huge because I am an introvert.
Sadly, I often have an intense desire to run into my house after extroverting myself for any period of time.  
This last week though, I decided to push myself to not do that so much.  Instead I began crossing the driveway away from the door to my house that was so enticing and instead I got to know my neighbors a little better.
Guess how much training that took?
None. Nada. Zilch. Zip. Zero.

Photo by Makole Photography


All it took was using the skills we learn as children.

It always stands out to me in Scripture, how much we try to complicate the messages of Jesus.

Matthew 18:3 says:

"Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, 
you will never enter the kingdom of heaven"

I have often heard this verse spun to emphasize the humility we are suppose to demonstrate as believers.

That sounds good, but if we go back and look at what is going on around this verse we start to see that this verse is more radical than humility!

This verse is set in the middle of a community that is dominated by the Roman Empire.
The Roman Empire was an environment where position was valued.  
Throughout the Gospels, we see examples of tax-collectors, these were Jews who turned on their own for position with the Roman government.  
We see the Sadducees, who cemented their position by social, political and religious means.

Into this society comes Jesus' disciples with the question "Who, then is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" (Matthew 18:1b)

When Jesus calls a child to him to answer this question it is a radically different message than society has presented.  All around them his disciples are seeing a struggle for power.  Into that struggle for greatness comes Jesus, who points them to a child.

I have a soon to be 3 year old and a 1 year old.  
At our house we are constantly living in the world of a child.  
Do you know how uncomplicated that world is?
Somehow as we become adults things change.
There are now complex steps and formulas for making friends.
Social class does not effect them.
I took my 1 year old to the grocery store yesterday and everyone was a friend to wave at no matter what they looked like, how old they were or what position they held in society.

Somehow over time we seem to have complicated the idea of relationship.  
We have books and formulas telling us how to use this skills we developed as a child that we have lost as adults.
We have complex formulas for how to make disciples.
We rate people on scales creating a hierarchy to determine how we "should" relate to them.
We approach relationships in a detached formal manner, completely forgetting that these words for the disciples are for us also...

"Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, 
you will never enter the kingdom of heaven"

What happens if we forget the formulas and charts?
What happens if we discard the hierarchy?
What happens if we just start waving to people in the grocery story like a 1 year old?
What happens if we follow the example of a 3 year old and ask everyone we meet there name?
Ok, so maybe that might be a little creepy for adults, but what if we start by being aware?
What if we start by setting the goal to find one person wherever we go to say hi and learn their name?
Will we do it perfectly?  Probably not, but if we get it just some of the time we give our forgotten relational muscles a work-out.

One small way to start is to walk away from your door the next time you get home and walk toward the neighbor, who just got home also.


No comments: